What Will a Bathroom Renovation Cost?
You are finally ready for your bathroom renovation. You have collected pictures of different types of tile and fixtures. You know the look that you want, but now that the opportunity is here you start to worry. Where should you begin? Just how much is this all going to cost? Here are some guidelines to help you navigate through the journey of renovation.
Consumer Reports recommends that no more than 10-20% of your home’s value be spent in a bathroom remodel. This includes materials and installation. According to The National Kitchen and Bath Association, the average mid-range kitchen remodel in 2011 cost $16,552 and recouped 62% in home appreciation. An upscale remodel in 2011 cost $52,249 and recouped 56%.
The NKBA breaks down the budget for a typical bathroom renovation as follows:
- Labor: 20%
- Cabinetry and hardware: 16%
- Fixtures: 15%
- Faucets and plumbing: 14%
- Countertop: 7%
- Floor: 9%
- Doors and windows: 4%
- Walls and ceiling: 5%
- Lighting and ventilation: 5%
- Design fees: 4%
- Other: 1%
HGTV design experts advise renovators to purchase fixtures before being tempted to spend too much of the budget on costly design elements like tile and cabinetry.
Mitchell Parker at Houzz divides bathroom renovations into the following three cost ranges:
The Basic Remodel
- Cost is between $3,000 and $12,000 depending on the amount of do-it-yourself projects that you have planned.
- Fixtures probably can’t be moved, but they can be replaced with stock items like those you find in big-box stores.
- Counter tops will probably be granite or cultured marble.
- Ceramic tile can be used sparingly as accent pieces.
- Walls will probably be painted
The Mid-to Upper Range Remodel
- Cost is between $10,000 to $35,000 depending on a variety of fixtures and other options
- Adjustments can be made to the bathroom layout
- Countertops might be granite, marble, or quartz
- Cabinets can be semi-custom
- Porcelain tiles can be used creatively throughout the room
- Plumbing can be upgraded
The Deluxe Bathroom Remodel
- Cost is between $30,000 to $100,000+
- Walls and fixtures can be moved; the room can be expanded
- Custom cabinetry can be built from solid wood construction
- High-end options like steam showers and in-floor heating can be added
- Tiles can be natural marble, limestone, or granite
Matt Muenster, host of DIY’s BATHtastic, offers some final words of advice for the bathroom renovator.
“Look at your budget realistically. Consider using ‘green’ products and recycling existing fixtures. Remember that lighting and ventilation are important aspects to include in the renovation plan. And be creative! Sometimes the least expensive changes, like replacing hardware can be effective style choices.”
Need more design tips or budget advice? Contact us here.